Voices live in every finite being,
Often undivined, near silence.
Hear them!
Hear them in you! in others!
They sense truth deep in all life;
They know the things true Pilgrims stand for.
Stand out!
Come to Him without the things the world brings;
Come to Him!
As a child and as a poor man.
He had all. He gave all.

~Charles Ives


Thursday, August 12, 2010

Cabin Time

50 some years ago my grandparents bought an old converted one-room school house in the middle of a valley right behind Pikes Peak in Colorado. Every summer Nanny would take her four children and hide away in the mountains while Papa would come and go on speaking trips, and other business. Dad grew up spending three months out of the year in perfect little boy country. Not surprisingly, he made it a priority in his adult life to spend his vacation there in the mountains. Thus the five of us had the privilege of retreating for a month every summer to the cabin. There we built forts, shot guns, played cowboys and Indians (very un-PC of us, I know.), hiked up mountains, explored hills and valleys, bought candy at the General Store, and generally had a blast. As we got older it became a place to work on familial relationships, reflect on our lives, pray, study and generally rejuvenate. In such a secluded place, you can imagine the conversations that inevitably happen.

Here we are on one of many walks together.

I have felt weird all my life about publicly expressing my love and gratitude for my family. There are several reasons for this, though I haven't really put words to them till recently. The main reason is that somewhere deep down I feel guilty for having such a wonderful family. Guilty? Oh yes. I can feel guilty about just about anything. It's one of my spiritual gifts. (hmm)

I was convicted, however (also one of my spiritual gifts), this summer by a comment made by my youngest brother, Jamie. The five of us were talking together about the good and bad ways our family relates to each other, mostly the bad to be honest. Jamie stopped us all and said something to the effect of, yes, we have our dysfunction--such a trendy term, which really just means that we all hurt each others feelings, lose our tempers, act selfishly and sin against each other with the best of them, but we have also been taught by our parents to "take walks," talk it out, apologize and get to the other side: pursue each other in love, in other words. He's right. Though it's good to know our weaknesses, it's also good to see what works well. I am so grateful for the relationships I have with my brothers, sisters and parents. I would be a weaker Christian without them.

That being said, I'd like to take this opportunity to express my sincerest appreciation to my brothers and sisters-in-law. The intensity they have to face every time we're together is nothing to shake a stick at! Their patience and willingness to diffuse our dynamic with good humor, sweetness and straightforwardness is truly angelic. They each add so much to our growth as a family and as individuals, and I am so grateful for them all. Here's to new blood!

When company is over it's also nice to have the extra hands. Thank you, Jordan and Arrika!

And who could put a fence together without the brain power of six strapping young men? That's right, Dad, I included you in that description.

I'm including this one because I love it. No other reason.

Did you notice the eagle feathers in Robbie's hat?

How often have I seen my parents in this pose?
The work in the background is our new septic system in progress. Oh the joys of country living!

The babies certainly add a new dynamic to cabin life.

The best part is seeing them loved by their aunties, uncles and grandparents.

Can we say Rayburn resemblance?

These two gave John a break from grill duty. I must say we are fortunate to have at least three very accomplished grillers.

Did I mention that we talk a lot?

Cuties.

It is so much fun to watch the dogs do what dogs do best! It is not fun, however to see them mope when their mean masters return them to their confined lives in the city.

Charlie told me that his favorite cabin memory was hiking on Grandpa's back.
I told him I was a little surprised that he could even remember that,
since he slept the whole time!
Little Bryonie was, let's face it, a bit better at the whole hiking thing than little Charlie.
Hopefully that will change with time.

I don't have words for all the pleasant thoughts and feelings this picture brings me.

The picture below is at last an updated version of one we took years ago on this same log when Jamie was a toddler.



6 comments:

  1. As I sit reading this post I can remember the 'talks' we have had and also the many things I love about you and your family. I can hear you talking as you write and remember the joy I have known with you as my friend. We don't talk as much now - but when we do, it is always real. You have never been a chit-chat friend (neither of us has time for that) and I love that.

    I also wanted to say that it was you and your sisters who made me work on my relationship with my sister. As you know, it didn't used to be so great. You three women (well 4 including your mom) encouraged me to race after that relationship with Mandy. I am so thankful for that. We are closer now than we have ever been, and now that she too is entering the parenting world we are even more thankful. Your famiy life is a blessing to many.

    I have had many opportunities to be thankful for your particular spiritual gifts my dear. I love you and you are often in our thoughts and prayers. Kiss one of your Charlies for me and give the bigger one a hug. God bless you my dear friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun to read about your time with your family Court, and your processings! I love the picture of Charlie on your dad's back....so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey ho, Court - couldn't have said it better myself. Thanks for the pics (you DO have the best camera), thanks for the post and thanks for being the bestest little sister in all the world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE it!! And not a little bit jealous of your camera. (Though Bryonie and Charlie are too darling as subjects.) It's nice to know that when we can't debrief about our family at the cabin we can now do it online!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All these pictures make me want to get right on down to CO. Looks like it was a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i must say, i'm slightly disappointed that the cabin doesn't look the way it did in my dream. :) but it actually looks amazingly better - what a wonderful place for you to have with your family, making memories and reconnecting! so lovely...

    ReplyDelete