Voices live in every finite being,
Often undivined, near silence.
Hear them!
Hear them in you! in others!
They sense truth deep in all life;
They know the things true Pilgrims stand for.
Stand out!
Come to Him without the things the world brings;
Come to Him!
As a child and as a poor man.
He had all. He gave all.

~Charles Ives


Thursday, July 8, 2010

The work of my hands

Project No. 1

Last year I started knitting a blanket. A couple days ago my cousin asked to see my progress. I had to hang my head in shame and tell her that not only had I not made any, but I was beginning to feel like the only way forward was to make a clean breast of it and start over completely.
In that short conversation my dedication and interest were renewed. Last night after I had put Charlie to bed (I would like to mention at this point that he has slept through the night twice now!) I went out and purchased all the yarn I will need and drafted the adjusted pattern I plan to follow. I even started the first square.



These bursts of energy are fairly typical in my approach to projects. Unfortunately, more often than not, they are followed by long stretches of inactivity. However, I intend to use this blog as a form of accountability. Feel free to ask me how I progress.


Project No. 2


Could it be? Is that stack of disorganized photos Charlie and Courtney's wedding pictures? Didn't they just celebrate their fourth anniversary? Don't remind me! At least they are no longer stuffed away in the closet! At least I have to look at them every time I go downstairs! Groan.
Scrap books and photo albums are not, shall we say, one of my spiritual gifts. I usually find the work tedious and I'm rarely satisfied with the result.

To make matters worse, I have also committed myself to putting several photo albums together of all the pictures Charlie has ever taken and never developed. This includes pictures back from his early childhood up to the present. Why does this need to be done? Because he is a child of the digital age, and NONE of his pictures had EVER been developed before I raided his computer (also last year). Double groan. Please don't ask me how this project progresses. I am liable to scream and tear out my hair.


Project No. 3



Need I say more?


Rewards No. 1 and 2


Let's be honest. Reward No. 1 is also Projects No. 4-100...

6 comments:

  1. This post made me feel so much better about myself for all the unfinished projects I choose to ignore. Also, knowing that scrapbooking and photo albums are not one of your strengths makes me love you all the more, since I share your disaffection (is that a word?) for these crafty endeavors. Once someone told me that "everyone" should be able to do crafts. Consider me a failure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you knit me a blanket I will organize your photos in scrapbooks... Too bad you don't live closer my dear...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tina, that's a good enough reason to move back to Tacoma! ; )

    Megan, if you are ever tempted to judge your character by your craftiness or lack thereof consider the Jane Austen heroines--each with a different level of skill in the so-called accomplishments impingent upon elegant females. Have you ever covered a screen? neither have I.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this last picture of little Charlie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you're adventurous enough to go through and put old pictures into an album! good luck with that! Though I'm with you on the knitting, my bag has two projects hardly touched, one a blanket that just lost my interest, and the other a beautiful sweater that I wish in a way would make itself so I could wear it.

    ReplyDelete