Voices live in every finite being,
Often undivined, near silence.
Hear them!
Hear them in you! in others!
They sense truth deep in all life;
They know the things true Pilgrims stand for.
Stand out!
Come to Him without the things the world brings;
Come to Him!
As a child and as a poor man.
He had all. He gave all.

~Charles Ives


Monday, September 6, 2010

Labor Day

Since Charlie has started working a 9-5 job bank holidays have become something new and special to me. This morning we got up with the baby, packed him into the car, stopped by Starbucks for breakfast (FUN), and drove down 270 to Laumeier Sculpture Park. Among other wonderful things, it happened to be the perfect place for a photo shoot.






This sculpture is called "Walking Roots." I felt like it described us. Charlie and I both have a very strong desire to make home wherever we are. And home requires belonging, involvement, beautification, friendship, you know, fullness, complication. But will this ever happen in one certain place? Will we ever be grounded? Sometimes I wonder.


This one is called Sugabus, a combination of sugar or Sucrose and Cerberus, the three-headed dog of Greek and Roman mythology who guarded the gates of Hades. Little corny. But we liked the sculpture.


We tried one trail, but we were unfortunately unprepared for off-roading. All in all, I was reminded how much I LOVE being outside and with my boys! I've missed it this summer.




3 comments:

  1. So glad you guys had such a great day Court!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice new look to the blog! I love these pictures and love that you're such a sweet blogger. Keep it coming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can tell that Charlie is loving his new camera! He's got a good eye and, of course, his subjects are the cutest possible. So fun and lovely; I love looking. Mom

    ReplyDelete