Voices live in every finite being,
Often undivined, near silence.
Hear them!
Hear them in you! in others!
They sense truth deep in all life;
They know the things true Pilgrims stand for.
Stand out!
Come to Him without the things the world brings;
Come to Him!
As a child and as a poor man.
He had all. He gave all.

~Charles Ives


Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Thanksgiving in Minnesota

After a lot of considering, scheming, and hoping, the Dey family made it to St. Louis Park, MN, to enjoy Thanksgiving with the Moons. Bryonie cooked a scrumptious turkey and a delicious sweet potato casserole that met everyone's expectations, even her husband's. The rest of the meal was mostly prepared by our guests. I must say, it was nice to see prepared, delicious food arrive at the door.

Our group of celebrants were almost all musicians, facilitating lots of hymn-singing, opinion-sharing and u-tube hilarity. In short, we had a great time.

In true Dey fashion, however, we have zero pictures of our Thanksgiving festivities.

The next day was the only other full day Charlie had with the Moons. He had to return early to work on Sunday. So, for fun we headed to Macy's in downtown Minneapolis. Every year they have a Christmas scene displayed on their 6th floor. This year it was "A Day in the Life of an Elf."

Before we got there we had to brave the MN winter...


Thanks, Grammy, for the winter coat!


I know this is not why any of you come to my blog, but I really enjoyed the display and thought I'd share some of my favorite pictures...

Here is Santa's mail, unloaded on an unsuspecting elf.

The toy shop in disarray

Christmas baking

and candy making

and testing

Charlie enjoyed himself too...I think.

This was one of my favorites: Reindeer Flight School.

Closer up...

Can you see Josh?

All in all, we just had a great time being together.


The baby and I got to stay a full week, during which time Charlie started pulling himself up to standing with help from obliging furniture, expressing obvious interest in whatever I happened to be eating, and generally behaving more like a toddler and less like a baby.

Standing up in the bath! Bad idea, Charlie.


On Josh's day off we went to the Mall of America. I had never seen it before...wow. The best way to describe the place is extravagant.

Every now and then extravagant is a lot of fun!



Bryonie wanted to stay and hear the choir, but after their warm-up we decided our time was better spent on the move. I left, however, with a tinge of guilt. I used to be in a choir that practiced for final performances at malls and festivals. Shouldn't I sympathize with and encourage youthful musicianship?

Some other time.

This candy shop reminded me of Willie Wonka and all the extravagance of childish greed.



Around this time, Charlie was fading. Thankfully, there was a mechanical alligator to distract him.



I took this picture, struck by the stylish resemblance Josh had to this advertisement.

Unfortunately, he looks a little o're-shadowed.

Toy trains. Sigh. Dad, do you remember the set you got for the boys one Christmas, the table you built for it, and then how long it all lasted? Oh well. It was so cool at the time!


We also put up their Christmas tree, and had Hot Chocolate with Peppermint Schnapps. Delicious.

After that evening it felt officially like Christmas.


While I was packing us up, Charlie was pulling himself up on anything he could grab.
The hardwood floors and booties gave him an extra challenge.

Auntie Bryonie to the rescue!




Thank you, Josh and Bry, for such a good time! We miss you already.

4 comments:

  1. I remember the toy train in the basement! I was actually kind of jealous of it, to be honest.

    What a fun trip to MN! Thanks for sharing about it, and especially for the pictures! Isn't it amazing how fast these boys are going from baby to toddler? Little Charlie is just too darling for words.

    Wish we were going to see you in Tacoma this year. We'll miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy do I wish I had been there. It looks like you guys had a wonderful time. I think Grandpa built that table and Mom spray painted it. Isn't that right, Dad? Dad would, of course, have built it himself if only he had had the right tools.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vange...he he he

    Court, I always enjoy the pictures of your little one. It looks like you had a good time and I am so happy that Charlie was able to join you for some of the fun.

    Courtney I had almost forgotten how beautiful you are my dear friend.

    Love you

    ReplyDelete
  4. A-We will miss seeing you this Christmas too! Two years between seeing our Tacoma friends is a long time, and I'm feeling that keenly these days.

    E-I forgot that Grandpa built the table, and, yes, it makes sense that Mom was the one that painted it, no offense, Mom. ; )

    T-Thank you. What a sweet thing to say. We miss you and your family this Christmas.

    ReplyDelete