Voices live in every finite being,
Often undivined, near silence.
Hear them!
Hear them in you! in others!
They sense truth deep in all life;
They know the things true Pilgrims stand for.
Stand out!
Come to Him without the things the world brings;
Come to Him!
As a child and as a poor man.
He had all. He gave all.

~Charles Ives


Thursday, June 24, 2010

Prized Possession

Several weeks ago Aldi sold, while supplies lasted, backyard pools of various shapes and sizes. From the moment I clapped eyes on the advertisement I had my heart set on the $20, 10` long, 6` wide, 2` deep-er. But life got busy and I found the added effort of a trip to the store more than I could handle. A week after we had seen the ad I asked Charlie to drop by one of the Aldi stores nearby to see if they still had one--a hopeless endeavor, I told myself, since Aldi is very popular here and cheap pools were bound to go quickly in the heat we had been experiencing. But maybe, just maybe God would give this small gift to me!

They were out. I was heart-broken. Heart-broken over a pool. My husband was concerned.

"It seems like there's a lot riding on this pool, Babe," he said with a confused and concerned look on his face.

He didn't understand! I was home alone all day long every day, and to be cooped up because of the heat added to the isolation I was starting to feel. This pool would solve all my problems! If I got this pool I would never need anything else to make me happy.

I knew, of course, that I was being irrational and rather silly. But then again, I had been reading a book in which the author argues that we ought to live our lives desiring what is good, even if, no, especially if those things have been denied us this side of Heaven. The author was likely not talking about backyard pools, but I couldn't help but think that my desire for the fun afternoons with my son and the refreshment of cool water on a hot day and the pool parties I envisioned with our friends and family were part of the redemptive story that we are to pursue. (Oh yes, I can inject theological significance into anything. Especially if the result lets me off the hook.)

I tried to talk myself out of my funk, but finally resolved to check one more Aldi store before I relegated my dream to the "not yet." I prayed the whole way there that God would teach me what He wanted me to learn. I told him how confused and ashamed I was by my strong feelings, and asked him to help me.

Perhaps someday I will live life without this intensity. But it's not likely, knowing my roots.

When I got to the store my heart pounded in fearful anticipation as I weaved my way through the aisles to the special items section. I looked and looked. My heart sank. I was too late. Wait! What's this big box with happy people pictured all over it? Could it be my pool?! Yes! It was! My dream was a reality.

Ever since we bought our pool our lives have been perfectly happy, and I have finally found complete satisfaction...well...perhaps I exaggerate. But despite the slopes of our patio that keep us from filling it all the way, and the annoying bugs and branches that fall into it, and the frequency of its need for clean water, and the lack of enthusiasm with which our son has approached it I'd say it has been a worthwhile investment and a lot of fun to have.

Here are a couple pictures to prove it:


Though it may come as a shock to you, this was not the first time Charlie enjoyed (ah-hem) our wading pool.


Our friends, the Fowler's, with their son Levi, who is only several months older than Charlie, were our first guests. Everyone but Charlie seemed to have a blast!


I included this one so that everyone could see the SPEEDO logo on the back of Charlie's swim trunks. So cute! But perhaps not as cute as Levi in this picture.




We're hoping one day Levi and Charlie will be friends. Apparently, Charlie's not sure what he thinks about that.

8 comments:

  1. I understand (although not the couped up at home thing - I am cooped up in an over-aircondiditoned (i.e. freezing) office), last year we wanted a pool. When we finally decided that we couldscrape together the dimes and nickels and get one - no one had them. I even called targets as far away as bellingham! This year it was still cold outside when I ordered mine (which ended up being a birthday gift to Max, KayLynn and I from my mom!). Enjoy your pool and the contentment it bring. But be prepared for this not to solve All the worlds problems! Lov eyou my dear friend. Charlie is so cute... I am going to be continually showing KayLynn these pics. Maybe she will fall in love from a distance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the photos! No, your pool will not solve all your problems, as you know, but it is really fun! Thanks for having us over and for the photos. Levi and Charlie have no choice, really, but to be good friends. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice, Court. If only I could inject that kind of theological lesson into my addiction to British murder mysteries I would have a happier life. One question: how does your pool benefit the broader kingdom? Have you considered hosting a fellowship group in your pool?

    ReplyDelete
  4. So do pool parties require babies for admission?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your realness Court! And so excited that you got your pool! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a relief you got the pool - we might have had to enter a whole new realm of therapy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bry, you may have struck gold! What about spa...well, backyard pool...therapy, a type of aquatic l'abri. Voila, its contribution to the broader kingdom, Vange.

    Lori, how does pool KG sound?

    ReplyDelete
  8. My dear Girl, you are so like your mother it isn't even funny! I would have so thought those thoughts and been so intent on that project 20 years ago--only difference is I would have been totally serious (sort of) and I know that you are laughing at yourself (sort of) the whole way to the store....! Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete